Monday, January 26, 2015

Faith and the Holy Ghost

Dear Family!

Man, what a week! I feel like I say this every time I get on here but I seriously can't remember anything that happened. I guess that's a good thing, right? Working hard haha.

So Rosa's pipes finally got fixed!! Things are starting to look up! We talked to her on the phone this week and she said that she prayed to God and was like "look I'll do whatever you want me to do just turn my water back on!" Haha Well, she promised and her water is back on so we are going to help her reach her goals of doing what He asks of her. It was cool cause she said they have just been seeing so many little blessings the past couple of days...a check in the mail they didn't expect to come or someone filling up their gas for them. So things are looking up for Rosa!

Random side note. Do you remember me teaching a lady named Wanda in Highlands? Well, she got baptized!! I am so happy for her, I knew she would love the gospel and all it had to offer for her and I wish the very best to her.

We had a lesson with Karen again this week...whoa. Brother Randolph really wanted to come to a lesson because he felt like he related to her and a lot of her questions and wanted to help her. Oh my goodness, she just attacked him at the very start of the lesson. Just went off on him, pulling out all this doctrine, taking things he said and twisting them. Then he shared his testimony with her (something dear and personal to him) how he found the church after he got divorced and she pulled all that crap about how we shouldn't get remarried from the bible and everything...it was awful. We realized that no matter if we find the answer or not to all of Karen's questions, it is never going to mean anything because the Spirit can't testify of truth to her because her heart is not open. Karen claims to be spiritual and know so much about God yet she is missing the biggest component in religion which is faith. Yet she testified to Brother Randolph that we have taught her things she never knew and it just is hard to tell. Afterwards, Brother Randolph said, "I understand why you guys looked so discouraged. Never has anyone taken my testimony and slapped it in my face like her."

Even if I can never find the answer for Karen or help her in anyway (although I am trying very hard) I at least know how much my testimony has been strengthened. I always was comfortable that my testimony was based on things from my heart and answers I could never explain. But I think part of me disregarded the scriptures a little bit in their ability to build our testimony. Truthfully, it comes from the spirit always, for the Holy Ghost teaches us things that facts and figures can never explain. But when we know the word of God, it helps solidify what the Holy Ghost has taught you.

This week we had exchanges. It was probably the best exchange I have had in 12 months. Talk about a leader, Sister Martinez, that truly understands her role to love and serve those she is over. Not control or demand, criticize, or put down. It was a cool experience because the bishop in her area that she was super close to just passed away from cancer and when we were in the car she said "You know,Ii have been putting on this face for everyone for the last week and I don't know why but I feel like I can be real with you." And she did. She stopped pretending she was superhuman because she was a leader and she was 100% real with me. It made me feel good to know that I was able to allow her to be herself.

What I learned this week:

God intends for us to be happy. Everything He does is because He loves us. It is as simple as that.

Love you all so much,

Sister Lundskog

No comments:

Post a Comment