Monday, October 6, 2014

God Speaks to Us in Our Language

Dear Family!

Oh my goodness this week is over! It was crazy and it was a very hard week with many blessings in it as well! I will try and tell you everything I can remember from this week!

So Monday we had a Sister's Pday. It was alright. Not that many sisters came but, hey, we got to leave Fulton and see other missionaries which is a big blessing. We went to Devil's Ice box. I have already been there. It is that cave in Columbia that I went to with my district when I was serving in the Highlands. It was fun and we enjoyed it. I have learned to have a lot of tolerance for sisters and to find ways to have fun even if I have nothing in common with the majority of them. But the minute they start talking about fashion...I give up haha.

Tuesday was an awesome day. We had a lot of appointments. We had an awesome lesson with Barry. He is our newest investigator. We just talked about the Book of Mormon and how we feel when we feel the Holy Ghost. I love hearing all the different ways that the Holy Ghost or the spirit talks to people. It just proves even more how loving our Father in Heaven is when He comes down to our level and talks to us exactly in the way we need. He doesn't talk down to us or in ways we won't understand. He speaks to us in our language, whatever will touch our heart the most. We then saw Howard, our other investigator. He is the sweetest old man. We had a super powerful lesson where we talked about baptism and why we needed it and we invited him to be baptized. He said yes and he is going to be praying for a date this week. It was really cool, I think, also for Sister Corder to have that experience. One last opportunity to invite someone to accept Christ and it was really emotional for her. It was great! The rest of the day we just had awesome lessons with LA, RC and even met with a part member family. It was cool because we talked about church with her and why it is so hard to go to church and to get back in that habit. It made me really reflect on my life and it is weird because even when I wasn't following some of the church's teachings, I never once skipped church. Whether you believe in this church or not you cannot deny the feeling that you have when you are there. Our souls or our spirits seek for that feeling. I was able to testify to her that, ya, maybe it is a hard habit. Ya, maybe it takes a lot of time out of your day but if you truly understand that the reason we go to church is to have that one on one opportunity to learn from our Savior, none of those excuses would matter anymore. I remember when I was in Heber and I would go to church every single time by myself and sit by myself. I never felt alone because I know that the Savior was sitting there with me. How blessed are we to have that opportunity every Sunday?

So this really frustrated me this week. The STLs wanted to do a second exchange this transfer. It was really, really stressing Sister Corder out. I was supposed to stay in Fulton on Wednesday and Thursday and Sister Mendenhall would come down and Sister Corder would go to Columbia with Sister Fisher. Well, Sister Corder was super upset cause she was going to miss the opportunity to say goodbye to some people (which is understandable) and she was just stressing out for no reason about packing and everything. So she called the STLs and was trying to cancel the exchange but Sister Fisher wouldn't let her (which made Sister Corder really upset and I had to hear about it all night) so Sister Corder stayed in Fulton and Sister Fisher came down and I went to Columbia with Sister Mendenhall. Here is why I am upset. We had a massive storm come in, it was a really, really bad storm. The worst one I have seen my whole mission. Tornado sirens went off, the power was out, lightning and thunder everywhere, it was raining super hard. Well, guess what? Sister Corder got to see the sky go green which is something I have been waiting for my whole life pretty much.. The tornado almost touched down in part of our area. The funnel for the tornado formed and everything it just didn't touch down. I was so upset I missed it. I know that sounds crazy and stupid but it has been just a huge thing for me and you know when you just are so excited for something and then it doesn't happen and you know you shouldn't be upset because that is silly but it just makes you so sad. That is how I felt and I know I shouldn't have been bitter but the whole week, well a lot of the transfer really, was all revolved around Sister Corder cause she was going home. Which is fine. I understand but I was just really sad. But it is okay, I will get another opportunity. It was a crazy storm though and it lasted forever. We had thunder and lightning for two days and usually storms blow out super fast here but this one was a big one! Anyway, exchanges were really good. I really like and have a ton of respect for Sister Mendenhall. She is a lot like me, just very calm and not girly at all haha. We got along great and she has already gained my respect for her as a leader in how she handles everything. She is very real. I was actually a little disappointed in Sister Fisher this week. I feel like leadership is changing her. She just said some things to Sister Corder that just wasn't right and has made some judgement calls on some people recently that have been way off. It gets hard having to try and defend her all the time to everyone in my district and other missionaries. Missionaries just really don't like STLs. They have a bad name for themselves in how they interact with everyone. But it is alright. Can't do anything about what they do, just how I will react :)

When Sister Corder was on exchanges she set a baptismal date for November 15th with Carolyn, our gator. SO THAT IS SOME EXCITING NEWS! Carolyn is crazy...haha. We have a lot of work and teaching to do before she can be baptized but her heart is in the right place.

So...Conference!!! That was amazing. Exactly what I needed to hear. On Saturday we watched at the church and the Mexico sisters came down and watched it with us. We had the whole chapel to ourselves and we ordered pizza and brought blankets and just enjoyed it. I TOOK SO MANY NOTES. What do you think the theme was this year? I feel like there were a lot of talks on trust. At least that is what I got out of it. Trust yourself and your decisions; trust in the Lord and that He is our Savior; trust in your leaders and in the gospel which is something I think I really needed to hear. Trust is such a hard thing for us as humans to do sometimes. It takes a lot to just give everything and fully trust someone. But, we can have perfect trust in the Lord. My favorite talk was by that Jorge guy (haha I don't remember his name). He talked about the 6 steps to have spiritual confidence. I really needed to hear that. President Uchtdorf always gives amazing talks and I loved the story Elder Bednar told. D. Todd Christofferson gave an amazing talk. THEY WERE ALL SO GOOD. On Sunday we went over to the "B's" house. They are a young couple in our ward and they fed us breakfast and lunch and it was the first time my whole mission that I watched conference at a member's home. It was so awesome and really helped out with the homesickness. They made us crepes :) So good. It made me think of the time our district in Highlands made crepes for conference. These were a lot better haha.

Well, I have written a lot and I think my mind is officially fried. Oh, next week on Monday we have our Mission Conference so my Pday will be on Tuesday. So I won't be ignoring you. I just won't be online :)

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Keep being amazing and know how much I love all of you. Mom, Dad, Allison, Justin, extended family, friends, mission friends...you all know who you are and you all know how much I love you. Thank you for being the strength to keep me going. I couldn't do it without you.

Love - Sister Lundskog

No comments:

Post a Comment