Monday, July 21, 2014

The Harder You're Thrown, the Higher You Bounce

Dear Family-

Well, man this week flew by. I can't even remember half of what happened. But I am so excited you found a house and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLIE BO BALLIE! Justin, I cant believe you caught that fish. It was huge! So proud of you kid.

This week was transfer week! I got the opportunity to go to the transfer meeting even though I wasn't transferred which was a huge blessing. I got to see so many people that I haven't seen in awhile! I saw Elder Pickett and Elder Timothy and Sister Tonnies. Sister Fisher came up to me and gave me a huge hug and I just started crying haha. I have no idea why but it felt so good to just talk to her for a little bit. Man that girl has done so much for me and I will never be able to repay her.
Sister Fisher, Sister Lundskog, and Sister Minyard at transfers

My new companion is Sister Hansen! She is from Bountiful, Utah (but she lives in North Salt Lake). She went to the same high school as you Mom, so that was pretty cool. She came out the same time as I did but she was on west campus so I never really got to know her but I have seen her around so I knew who she was. She is super tall and she played volleyball and she was a swimmer. Her brother served in the same mission as Dallin! I asked him today if he knew her brother. But the weirdest thing ever happened. She was looking through my pictures and she came across a picture of Mads and me and asked "You know Mads?" She was Madelyn's neighbor at Utah State and then we realized we have already met before! We met each other before the mission! Cray Cray haha. But she wants to work hard which is such a blessing and it gave me a lot of hope that this is going to be a solid transfer. BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!
Sister Hansen & I in front of an awesome truck on transfer day

Um...something fun and exciting. Jackson has this huge festival every year called the Homecomers (because people come home for it) and it's like a make shift fair. Anyway our ward mission leader's family has 7 kids and they are all super musically talented and they got asked to perform at this fair. There are going to be 3000 people at this fair and it will be blasted on the speakers through every bloke so even if they aren't by the stage they can still hear them. It's a gospel night and so she said she knew we were Christian and it is an open mic. Go ahead and share your beliefs and guess how they are doing that? They are having me and Sister Hansen coming on to sing a song with them. haha I am singing "How Great Thou Art" in front of 300 people!!! WHAT! I guess I will have to thank Elder Buhler for making me start using this talent. Hope all goes well! Pray we can make an impact on someone so they will want to hear from us. Making every moment a missionary moment!

So we had our first lesson with Mike "SC" and let's just say that was a super interesting lesson. He is going to be a hard investigator for me because I don't think like him at all. He is super analytical and thinks a lot and I just look at the simple things so we will see how this goes. He has made it very clear what he wants to learn so we know exactly what to study and teach him which makes me really excited! So pray his heart will be opened and we can keep teaching him.

Sister Hansen had this poem that I loved and kind of hit me and I wanted to share it with you guys:

Did you tackle that trouble that came your way
with a resolute heart and cheerful?
Or hide your face from the light of day
with a craven soul and fearful?
Oh, a trouble's a ton, or a trouble's an ounce,
or a trouble is what you make it
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only how did you take it?

You are beaten to earth? Well, well, what's that?
Come up with a smiling face
It's nothing against you to fall down flat,
But to lie there-- that's disgrace.
The harder you're thrown, why the higher you bounce;
Be proud of your blackened eye!
It isn't the fact that you're licked that counts;
It's how did you fight and why?

And though you be done to death, what then?
If you battled the best you could;
If you played your part in the world of men,
Why, the critic will call it good.
Death comes with a crawl, or comes with a pounce,
And whether he's slow or spry,
It isn't the fact that you're dead that counts,
But only, how did you die?

My favorite part is "The harder you're thrown, why the higher you bounce."

What I learned this week:
Trust God's bigger picture
It is not so much what you can get but who you can become
THE BEST IS YET TO COME! We were not built to fail and we will never give up.

I love you guys with all my heart. I don't know what has changed me but I have so much hope and I am going to start believing in miracles because they do happen and they are happening here. We just need to open our eyes so we can see them.

Love - Sister Lundskog
Sister Rudd & I last week on Pday

No comments:

Post a Comment