Monday, July 28, 2014

Homecomers!

Dear Family-

Well, I never know what to write about when Monday rolls around because missionary work is very slow. Brother SC cancelled on us so we didn't have a single lesson this week. We were only able to see four less actives this week. We spent alot of hours in the heat this week trying to contact people and find anyone anywhere who is ready for the gospel but no such luck. It's alright. There is always another week, right?

Wednesday was the Jackson Homecomers fair and we were blessed to be invited to sing with our ward mission leader and his family. It was a way we thought that we could get the church out into the community and maybe help us find more people to teach. The "B's" sang "Come Thou Fount", "Amazing Grace", and then they sang this really cool version of "If You Could Hie to Kolob" and he introduced it as an old English song that some audience members might know. The people seemed to enjoy it. Then, they sang "Down by the River" and Sister "B" had her own song and then we sang "Amazing Grace" with Jayce (17) and Benny (15). It was awesome. The family finished with two more gospel songs and the crowd loved them. It was cool cause the lights were so bright that you couldn't even see anyone in the crowd. It made me miss dance and performing and brought back a lot of good memories. Then we got to play at the fair with the members. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! So, even though I didn't get to go to the Cardinals game, I got to go to Jackson Homecomers and ride really sketchy rides that looked like they were going to fall apart. It was a blast. I see it as a tender mercy from Heavenly Father to let us be kids for a couple of hours.
Jackson Homecomers Fair


Riding the Ferris Wheel

Add caption

Holding a baby bunny
The next day we had to get up at 5am to leave here by 6:30am to make it to O'Fallon, Illinois by 9am for zone conference. It was a good zone conference and I got to see Elder Buhler and Elder Pickett. It was so good to see my friends. It made me realize how good I had it in Columbia. Funny, huh? It takes life moving on to realize what you had and to remember that there are always more good things to come. If I learned anything from my friends it's to make the best of everything we have. You control your circumstances, no one else. Go out and make the adventures. Life is too short and if you ain't livin on the edge then you are takin up too much space. I am finding the adventures left and right out here. I think I was trying to be too much of a grown up that I was forgetting to just enjoy the moment. I am going to keep being a kid at heart and ride ferris wheels and chase fireflies and sing good ole country music as I'm tracting in 100 degree weather.

This week was hard to be honest. No such luck or any progress on our missionary endeavors. Sister Hansen and I have been trying to get permission to go to the temple because we have passed our halfway marks. For the second time, we both got denied because we were told that we were too far away from St. Louis to go. We will be at a year before we are allowed to go now. We have already had like everyone in our ward ask if they can provide a way for us to go so I emailed the president telling him that I needed the blessings that come from the temple. Especially in this area. We are brainstorming and praying and fasting for help and we need the inspiration that comes from the temple to help bless the people here in Jackson. I need to relight the fire to why I am here because sometimes you forget. You can't see why you are here anymore. But, we will see what happens. We always have a choice to make the best of what we have.

What I learned this week:

I was reminded this week that when we get knocked down, as much as we would like to stay down, that is not allowed. When we fall we must ALWAYS get back up on that horse. There is no room for no's or maybe's but to only square your shoulders and to keep moving. Quitting is not an option in this crazy world we are in. Get up and try it again because it is not about what we make. It's not about the score, the money, the baptisms, the likes. It's about what we become from the life we live. Heavenly Father isn't gong to search us for scars and medals and diplomas but he is going to look at our hearts and who we have become because of the falls we have taken. We always have to get back on that horse and just imagine the heights we will be able to reach comin up from the bottom. The harder we fall the higher we bounce.

I love you guys with all my heart. Keep being awesome and don't forget YOU ARE LOVED BY SO MANY.

Love-

Sister Lundskog
My awesome comp and Brother & Sister S

No comments:

Post a Comment