Monday, March 31, 2014

"You Can Lead a Horse to Water But You Can't Make It Drink"

Dear Family-

Sounds like you are all still crazy busy this week. I hope you can let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I know there isn't much but if there is anything at all, let me know.

This week was a good week...a little bit frustrating...but good. We had zone Pday on Monday and we went rollerblading. It was okay. We made the best of it but I cannot roller blade. Sister Fisher ate it hard core, too, and it was one of the funniest things. She is okay though and we laughed at her out of love.

This week we taught Chris the first lesson. We weren't able to get through very much of it because she likes to talk a lot. But we were able to find out about a lot of her concerns which was really good. We know what she needs and how to help her. She has been kind of difficult though because she commits to things but then doesn't follow through with them. We were able to get her to come to the General Women's Broadcast. But, she just wanted to sleep the whole time because she works night shifts. She said that if she went home and slept she would be able to come to church. Well, she just dropped the kids off and went home. That was frustrating. We will just have to keep praying and doing what we can to help her.

We were supposed to have exchanges this week but they were canceled again and moved to another week so we now have a ton of miles which has been a huge blessing. We can visit more people and are more effective with our time because we don't have to walk. So that was a blessing in disguise.

Now, the bad news of the week. Erin and Michael went to Florida last week. Well, we went to see them when they returned and Erin is gone. Erin is in rehab in California for 60 days. Michael ended up telling us that when they were in Florida he was out smoking and Erin was asleep. Her parents went through her bag and found drugs. When Michael got back all of his stuff was outside with a note that said to find his own way home to Missouri and if he knocked on the door they were going to call the police. They took the kids and sent Erin straight to California. They were just too mixed up in drugs and they needed help. It breaks my heart that we lost her but she is on the road to fixing her life. We were able to get her address so I am going to write her and send her a Book of Mormon.

This week there was a tornado warning!! I was so excited. There was a huge storm and thunder and lightning and hail and the whole shebang! I loved it. But, we had a dinner with a member so I was stuck inside and could not go follow the storm (I know, you are probably happy, Mom...haha). But, I was pretty sad I missed most of it. That was definitely the highlight of my week.

We had an amazing lesson with Diane finally. She is slow and steady. The blessing is that she is earnestly seeking for truth and light. So, although it is hard and she argues and they are very small breakthroughs, they mean a lot to her. She takes what she learns and feels and actually applies it which is the best you could ever ask for.

On Sunday, I almost had a breakdown. Like I said, Chris did not come to church. The boys said they would come sit in the chapel with us but because Shyanne and her boyfriend were sitting out in the foyer, they wanted to sit there also. Anyway, we got Lance, Logan, and Alan inside sitting down. Then Alan sneaks out during sacrament and it went just downhill from there. Lance was crawling over me to sit on Logan's head. Logan was asking every three seconds if he could leave. I just kept telling him to please wait until Sacrament was over. We need to be quiet and reverent. It was so hard cause we are not their moms. We are missionaries. We can't pick them up and sit them down and tell them to stay. Finally, sacrament is over and Logan and Lance like tackle each other on the bench and run out and I was just done. I can't make them want this. I can't make them see the importance. I can lead by example but I can't make them care.

But, I learned a lot of valuable lessons this week:

You can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink.
The biggest thing people lose when they walk away from the church is hope.
I never want to be a burden on my companions, as a missionary nor as a spouse. (After cleaning the entire apartment by myself this week because my companion is so messy and doesn't clean up)

Anyway, I love you all so much! I'm learning so much. Patience and hope in every situation. When it gets too hard I just have to get on my knees and pray. Keep on keeping on, right Mom?

Love you-

Sister Lundskog

No comments:

Post a Comment