Monday, March 3, 2014

"We Must Hold Onto What We Know"

Dear Family-

Whew this week went by so fast! I don't even know what happened. But, I am grateful that it is over. It was a crazy awesome week.

Last Monday we did nothing cool for Pday. I am pretty sure we slept all day but I don't remember. But, I finally got to meet one of our investigators. It's the "J" family. They are Muslim and are from Afghanistan and Russia. So they speak Farsi and Russian and very little English. A member of our stake found Elders in Canada that speak Farsi. I have no idea why they are in Canada but they are. The Elders skype the "J" family and teach them but we sit there with them for moral support and try to talk to them a little bit after their lesson. The Farsi elders tell us how it went and what we can try and talk to them about. But, they hardly speak any English so it's interesting! The mom saw my CTR ring and I guess it looked like it was on my ring finger so she asked me if I was engaged....haha. Sister Robertson just started laughing. I love how many different people I get to meet here. I didn't need to go on a foreign mission!

We have this awesome family in our ward and they have a daughter who is mentally handicapped. She is 26 but thinks at the level of a first grader. She asked us to come teach her. She has been raised in the gospel all her life but her mom said she is struggling a little bit. It was cool to get to teach her but it is really hard. She doesn't really open up much. So, we just talked about God and how much He loves us and how He blesses us with our families...the first two principles of the first lesson. She told us how much she loves Disneyland so we are going to relate all of our lessons to Disney from now on. I am excited for this challenge!

We had dinner with the "H" family. They are one of my favorite families in the ward. They are soooo down to earth and just so awesome. I love them! Anyway, they have a son name Credence who is 5, I think. He said the opening prayer and this is what he said. "...please help that we won't get stabbed to death and that we won't drive off of a cliff." We were trying so hard not to laugh cause he is really self-conscious of his prayers and we didn't want to make him feel bad. He is in that stage where he is always asking the why questions. He was talking about drugs and if someone gave him drugs, he would throw it out the window. But, his dad looks at him and he said "Hey, what if someone gave you a PB&J drug sandwich? What would you do?" He pauses and says, "Oh well, I really do like PB&J sandwiches."  hahaha That made my week.

We almost ran out of miles so we walked a lot this week. Getting in really good shape walking! I feel more like a missionary when I walk cause that's what you picture missionaries doing when you were little. They were always walking. I think I was annoying Sister Robertson though cause I have this bad habit of having to always be kicking a rock while we are walking. I don't know, it keeps me happy. so one of the days we were walking and there was this moving truck and there were two guys in it and as they drove past us the one yelled out, "You girls are lookin beautiful today!" It made me laugh cause Sister Robertson got so uncomfortable.
Isn't Sister Robertson so cute!
Erin. Man, we had the best lesson with her! We taught her the plan of salvation and focused the whole lesson around her two baby boys. It was just a great lesson. The smoothest lesson I have ever had on the Plan of Salvation. She asked us deep questions which means she understands the basics. This family has so much to overcome but I can just see her potential. I am so excited for her. We are going to try and set a baptismal date with her at our next lesson which is tomorrow.

We almost got in a car accident this week because of some stupid elders. This elder thought he could pass by our car when I was pulling forward. He went up on the curb and my theory is that an angel jumped in between the two cars because we should have hit! Wouldn't that have been fun to explain to Elder Bachelor! I guess there has been four accidents this transfer due to bad weather conditions and three of the cars have been totaled. I guess we have more cars than our mission is allowed so President said we have to sell five of them before the next transfer. I am scared that we are gonna lose our car cause we have a small area. It's a three hour walk to the part of our area that has all of the work. Pray that we get to keep our car!

This week we got to participate in a prank. A bunch of missionaries from different districts all pranked the zone leaders cause they were being punks, I guess. Anyway, we just pretty much showed up to see what they did. They moved everything in their entire apartment into one room, filled their bathtub with goldfish, filled another whole room with cups full of water, and then sticky noted the walls. It was funny. Elders are hilarious.
Pranking the zone leaders


We had to drop Damara this week. She pretty much told us she 100% believes our church is true and she loves how she feels at church more than any other church and she loves the people but she feels like God is calling her to minister at her other church for right now. How do you tell someone Aaah...no...God isn't telling you to do that. Ugh! I have never prayed so hard that he would just give her an answer that she was wrong. But those are the times when we cannot doubt Him. We must hold onto what we do know. The parts of our testimony that are sound and just have faith that this is right and trust that He will help her realize in His own time where she really needs to be.

We picked up a new investigator this week. Her name is Wanda. She is this old black woman. She says things like "Hey, Girl...let me just tell ya" and "Praise the Lord" and "Hallelujah!" I love her. She has seven stints in her heart. She has four daughters and a son. We taught her the first lesson and it was great. She had a hard time understanding the priesthood though. Everyone does. That is the hardest thing to teach and usually what holds everyone up. But, I am excited to keep working with her!

The "F" family....Logan and Chris. They are really struggling. I guess Syhanne, the 16 year old, is acting out. She stole $300 from her mom who is a single parent and can't afford to lose that money. She keeps running away. Since she was molested by her dad she is just struggling with feeling impure even though it wasn't her fault. Chris said she just had a miscarriage and she is getting sick cause of her asthma. We asked if we could start teaching her again and she said yes. Man, my heart just aches for that family. I love them so much. Just breaks my heart to see what they have to go through and Sister Robertson was talking about it with a member (Sister "T" came to the lesson with us). Sister "T" said something really profound. She talked about how in the world 18 and 19 year old missionaries are supposed to help everyone. But I have no idea how to help some with their problems. She said that is why God calls us....because we don't know anything and that's why when we testify of Christ it can be so powerful. It's not our job as missionaries to solve people's problems. It is our job to bring them to Christ and let him solve them.

Church was canceled yesterday and I was so mad! One, we had a lot of investigators that were going to come to church and two, that's a week when I don't get to take the sacrament which makes the week so hard. But, it's alright. Hopefully, this is the last week of bad weather because I am so done with winter!

What I learned this week:
We should pray like kids do--with complete confidence that our words are being heard by God
Police officers kind of have jobs like us. They hunt people down too!
Skin like an elephant!
I miss my mom and her amazing advice.

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sister Lundskog

No comments:

Post a Comment