Monday, November 18, 2013

"Missionary Work is Hard"

Dearest Family and Friends-

Wow, what a week! Let me tell you something---missionary work is so hard. Seriously. But the blessings you receive are far greater than any challenge you have to overcome. I can promise you that.

So first off, I don't even know where to start. This week has been amazingly wonderful and absolutely awful. Remember that last week every single one of our lessons fell through...which was just awful. This week we had so many lessons we were so overwhelmed. haha This week an investigator from Webster Groves Ward who moved into our ward was baptized. It was the coolest thing ever. Honestly, I didn't really even know her and I wanted to cry. Seeing someone accept the gospel is one of the greatest things we can witness in life. Now Sister Fisher and I have the opportunity to teach her the new member lessons and she is super cool. I've only met her twice but she is great.

This week, we were actually able to set three baptismal dates with three of our investigators. I am so excited and happy for them but I am also super nervous they won't go through with it. All I know is that I have to trust in the Lord, do my part, and know that my investigators have the opportunity to make the decision in the end. But, with the way that everything has worked out, we will have a baptism on every Saturday until December 14th. The elders have one investigator who is getting baptized on December 7th which is amazing. We have been so absolutely blessed by the Lord...it's not even funny. Honestly, knowing how much he works with our weaknesses...it's amazing that anything ever gets done sometimes. We are only 18 and 19 year old kids but the Lord calls us with our weaknesses and qualifies us for His work. What a blessing to be a part of something so great as this. A member was telling us the other day that this is an era of missionary work as life changing as the Book of Mormon coming forth. Doesn't that just give you chills knowing that we are part of such an amazing era?

The hardest thing about this week....Sister Fisher got to go to a training meeting but I couldn't go. So she went with the STLs to the training and I went with the Webster Groves sisters. Let's just say I have nothing in common with one of the sisters and by the end of the day I was frustrated. It was one of the most humbling experiences as I learned to truly love others. Sometimes we forget as missionaries that our love doesn't stop at our investigators, the members, or our companion. We must love everyone as Christ would. I tried way hard and I think I made the best of it and had fun and just tried to laugh the whole day. It was hard but it was possible and I think I gained respect from that sister and grew in my ability to control my emotions a little better. However, let us pray I will not be companions with her. I don't know how well that would go. But, I will go wherever the Lord wants me to go and do whatever He wants me to do.

We also had a new investigator this week. She is amazing and we had a powerful first lesson with her. Her friend, Mark, who is a member was there and....man....I don't think you realize how powerful it is to have the members present. Just because you don't wear a badge doesn't mean you can't share the gospel. This is the time to hasten the work!

Sad story. The elders in our ward got a call from the Mission President this week telling them that they are moving to Jefferson City. We were so sad! Elder Curtis is so awesome. We were all such good friends. But, I guess two elders waiting for their visas got their visas and they had to leave immediately. They took the two companions of the "visa waiters" and put them in one area and then they are bringing Elder Curtis and his companion who has been here two weeks to Jefferson City and they are now moving the assistants to the President to our ward. I guess throughout the world the church is trying to move all the assistants to have their own proselyting area because most don't right now and also decreasing their job assignments as assistants. They should be here 80% of the time but we will see how that actually works out. But, honestly, I am nervous as heck. They scare me and I don't want to be teaching around them because they are such awesome missionaries. It's sad that that makes me nervous but it does.

Anyway, I thought I would share this poem with you. This came from one of the sisters in the Webster Groves area and I loved it. It explains missionary work to a "T" and this week. This week was extremely difficult. Sister Fisher and I had a misunderstanding and, you know me, I just shut down and stopped talking to her. When she has a hard time, she gets bossy. The minute anyone starts telling me what to do, I will do the opposite. It doesn't go well. Anyway, we were ready to explode so we actually had comp inventory this morning and sat down and actually talked everything out and it helped so much. Sometimes we don't understand why people do the things they do because of the things they have gone through in life. One day can be awesome and the next day can be just the worst. If we don't have someone, like a companion, to rely on it is nearly impossible to get through the day. Anyway, I love Sister Fisher to death. She is the best and I know we will be friends for a very long time. We needed to be companions because the Lord knew what I had was what she needed to be taught and what she had was what I needed to learn.

Here is the poem. It is called "The Mission":

A mission is a strange experience.
It is a trial and a test.
A mission throws you at the worst
Yet it teaches you the best.
I've never been so happy
I've never been so depressed.
I've never felt so forsaken,
I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so confused,
Things have never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant
He has never been so near.
I've never been so discouraged
I've never been so full of hope
I feel I could go on forever
I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I never had it quite so easy
I've never had it quite so tough
Things have never been so smooth
Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valleys
I've never ascended more peaks
I've never met so many nice people
I've never met so many freaks.
I've never had so many ups
I've never had so many downs
I've never worn so many smiles
I've never had so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely
I've never had so many friends
Boy, I hope this is over
Gosh, I hope this never ends. 

Just remember how much I love you. Remember that just as sure as the sun must come up in the morning, we will find joy at the end of our trials. Good timber does not grow at ease....right, Dad? You can do hard things. I love you all and pray for you so much.

Love-

Sis. Lundy

No comments:

Post a Comment